Saturday, January 3, 2015

Subtle little touches

While I spent most of New Years Day recovering from the night before (thanks Josh and Lillie!), I did manage to get some house stuff done. Just as the front porch light was a disaster, many of the other light fixtures in and around The Hundred Acre House are a bit dated and obnoxious. So we headed down to our local lighting store, which is currently going out of business and offering everything with a huge discount. Picked up a number of needed items before heading back home to take a nap.

Living room lighting
The theme that the lights have been following is a lantern style of bold horizontal and vertical black lines with plain white shading. This was true to the front porch light I just replaced, but also for the lighting we’ve set up in the living room.


The first thing to go was the chandelier in the dining room. This thing looked like the atomic future promises made in the sixties. I replaced it with something that doesn’t hang from the ceiling like a mace trying to smack you in the head (which the old monstrosity had already done to more than one victim). The bad news for the new one is that it is designed to hang flush but I have cathedral ceilings. Luckily, the slope of my roof is very shallow, so the tilt is barely noticeable.

New lanterns:
Garage and Front Doors
I was able to get a set of matching outdoor lanterns at the lamp store. But I have three outdoor lights, two out front and one in back. So I moved the light I had just installed the previous day to the back porch since it wouldn’t exactly match the new set. After changing a grand total of four of these outdoor lights I no longer need the instructions. This helps a lot because I now have to do a number of indoor wall sconces.


80's office
Wallpaper must go too
In the master bedroom, the switch turns on a light that looks like it should be in the hall of a cheap hotel. The same fixture also happens to be in both halls here as well. They’ll all be replaced, but I wasn’t sure whether the one I was looking at in the store would fit in the hall downstairs as there are a number of space restrictions. But for the master bedroom, I went with something with more of a branch motif. It looks nice, but the LED bulb was too low an equivalent wattage to brighten the room. Going to have to upgrade that.

In the room that will be my office, the sconce is straight out of eighties (which I think was the last time anything in this house was upgraded). Got something a little more modern, modest, and matching.


And after all of that, I managed to get a little yard work done.
The leaves from just the side of the yard that is currently visible.

2 comments:

  1. The lightning improvements look nice. I like the matching lanterns on the front, looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost all the lighting will have a similar style, if not outright matching. It's all really coming together.

    ReplyDelete